When there is a nasal obstruction, air cannot circulate properly through the nose, it is not warmed or humidified well and so the air does not arrive in optimum conditions to the lungs.
- Do you recognize any of these symptoms?
You may suffer from nasal obstruction if:
- your nose if often blocked
- you have difficulty breathing through the nose
- your face or head hurts
- your ears are blocked
- you have a dry mouth and pharynxyou have a dry mouth and pharynx
- your nose bleeds frequently
- you have trouble sleeping or you are still tired when you waket
- you have problems of olfaction (smell) and taste
- when you exercise or make a physical effort, you fatigue before others do
- your character changes when you suffer the above symptoms
Any of these symptoms require a visit to a doctor to determine their cause and apply the most appropriate treatment.
- What are the consequences of nasal obstruction?
Nasal obstruction can lead to health problems that can be very serious:
- nasal ventilatory insufficiency
With nasal obstruction, the body is not oxygenated properly and this can cause:
- tiredness, fatigue and irritability
- sleep problems
- rhinosinusitis and colds that just do not cure well
- progressive deterioration of smell
- cardiovascular problems, hypertension and arrhythmias
- severe breathing problems
- poor air filtration
A nasal obstruction hinders air filtration. Air that is poorly filtered is dirty, dry and cold and this can cause pharyngitis, laryngitis, bronchitis, asthma, hoarseness and cough.
- Problems from insufficient sleep.
Nasal obstruction reduces the body’s ability to rest, and this can lead to problems of different types:
- daytime sleepiness (you may fall asleep in a potentially dangerous situation or socially inappropriate situations)
- decrease in concentration and activity
- depression, irritability, fatigue
- sexual dysfunction
- What causes nasal obstruction?
One of the most common causes of nasal obstruction is the deviation of the nasal septum. The nasal septum is a wall that separates the two nostrils, and consists of cartilage and bone. Changes in the shape and growth of the nasal septum can be congenital or acquired by trauma.
Other causes are:
- allergy pollutants or allergens (dust mites, pets, pollen)
- food intolerance
- deformities and tumors in the nose
- rhinitis, sinusitis or nasal polyps
- irritation due to intense odours (perfumes, solvents, bleach, chemicals, etc.), irritants (tobacco smoke, dust, pollution), or due to changes in temperature and humidity or light stimuli, among others.
- emotional changes, stress, depression, sadness
- drug abuse: Topical nasal decongestants, antidepressants and antihypertensives
- hormonal changes during pregnancy, menstruation and menopause
- endocrine disorders: thyroid problems, overweight and obesity
- What can we do for you?
Our Rhinology Clinic is the Nasal Obstruction Unit of the Teknon Medical Center. We specialize in accurately diagnosing the cause of nasal obstruction and finding the best solution for you.
Following standardized protocols, we will conduct a complete study, offer the best treatment options, and take into account the person as a whole.
To make an accurate diagnosis, we analyse your medical history, do a physical examination (Nasal Fibroendoscopy) and complete the study with different functional tests such as Rhinomanometry, acoustic rhinometry, and olfactometry and gustometry. If necessary, we will perform other tests such as x-ray, MRI, CT and blood work.
In our protocols we include different medical specialists: otolaryngology, pulmonology, allergology, endocrinology, neurology and cardiology. Thus we can study the person as a whole.
Once we have made a clear diagnosis, we will consider the most appropriate treatment for you. The solution may involve:
- treatment for the causes of the obstruction
- drug treatment according to the patient’s symptoms
- behavior change:
- reducing the use of topical nasal decongestants
- complementary therapies: acupuncture, Chinese medicine, herbal medicine and bionutrition may help solve some problems of nasal obstruction