As a super specialized center in the nose, the Rhinology Clinic is fortunate to rely on the excellent specialists in otorhinolaryngology and cervicofacial surgery who are in the team.
Dr. Marc Pellicer i Sarasa
Bachelor and Doctor in Medicine and Surgery from the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB)
Specialist in Otorhinolaryngology Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Vall d’Hebron in Barcelona
Specialized training and ongoing
- Fellowship in Pediatric Otolaryngology at Texas Children’s Hospital / Baylor
- College of Medicine. Houston, Texas (USA)
- Visiting Fellow in Pediatric Otolaryngology at Children’s Hospital Medical Center. Cincinnati, Ohio (USA)
- Estatge at Hôpital St. Antoine. ORL Service Prof. C.H. Chouard. Paris
- Doctorate monographic courses at the Faculty of Medicine of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB):
- Pathology of cranial nerves
- Current state of rhinology
- News in otolaryngology
- Radiology at O.R.L.
- Seminars of laryngeal pathology
- Pathology Seminars O.R.L.
- Metastatic cervical adenopathies
- Pathology of the facial nerve
- Pathology of the voice
- Otorhinolaryngologic pathology of the child
Research and Publications
Research projects in progress
- Tumor Stem Cells in Laryngeal Carcinomas in collaboration with VHIR.
- Comprehensive trans-Pyrenean international program for diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of the deaf child in collaboration with the Université de Montpellier (France).
- Gene therapy of deafness in collaboration with J Barquinero (VHIR), M Chillón (ICREA) and A Bosch (UAB).
- Determination by Bioinformatics of the possible pathogenicity of mutations not identified in genes responsible for deafness, with X de la Cruz (ICREA / VHIR).
- CRISPR platform in the Biology of Development and regeneration of the Internal Ear (Inner Ear) PRBB-VHIR consortium led by Dr. Berta Alsina (UPF). Start 2016
- The clinical simulation in ENT as a method of training for undergraduate students, training of specialists and for continued medical training, in collaboration with Virtual Hospitals of Montreal (Canada), Boston (USA) and Santander (Spain).
Research projects carried out
- Study on ‘Neurobiology of cochlear implants’ in the ORL Service of l’Hôpital St. Antoine de Paris, with a scholarship granted by the C.I.R.I.T. (1990).
- Doctoral thesis: Analysis of the viability of the transatical approach of the labyrinthine portion of the facial nerve.
- Radioanatomical study, carried out with FISS grant nº 93/1186.
- Study ‘Genetic transfer in follicular cells by virus and DNA’. C.I.R.I.T. (1994).
- Researcher in the project: ‘Development of a murine model for gene therapy of hereditary congenital deafness caused by mutations in the connexin-26 gene’. Coordinated by Maria L. Arbonés de Rafael. Center de Genètica Mèdica i Molecular-IRO i Hospital Materno-Infantil Vall d’Hebron. Project worthy of a grant from Fundació La Marató de TV3 and F.I.S.S.
- Researcher in the project: ‘Expression of the Cox-1 and Cox-2 protein in nasal polyps of patients afflicted with cystic fibrosis’ directed by Dr. Joaquim Mulloll i Miret and financed by the FIS (800-0902).
- Collaborator in the project ‘Molecular and functional analysis of mutations in mitochondrial DNA involved in progressive deafness and diabetes’ funded by the Fundació La Marató de TV3 (993610).
- European Commission (QLG1-CT-2001-01429) European Network onGENetic DEAFness: pathogenic mechanisms, clinical and molecular diagnosis, social impact. (Collaboration with the group directed by Dr. X. Estivill of the Center for Genomic Regulation).
- DURSI Grant (ACI-2001-8) Collaboration between Grup Sordesa CRG and Unité 254 de l’Inserm de Montpellier (Laboratoire de physiologie neurosensorielle et plasticité synaptique) led by Dr. J.L.Puel.
- Contributor in the NIH grant (2 R01 DC01402-08A1) Molecular basis of maternally transmitted deafness (Group directed by Dr. X. Estivill).
- Collaborator in the FIS project (G03 / 203) Aids Thematic Networks for Cooperative Research. Genetic and molecular bases of hearing disorders.
- Collaborator in the project “Effect of mobilization of hematopoietic progenitors with G-CSF during pregnancy on maternal chimerism in an allogenic murine model” (directed by Dr. Jordi Barquinero Máñez) funded by the “Thematic network of cooperative research on transplants (Vall d’Hebron Hospital node at the Institut Fundació per a la Recerca University Hospital Vall d’Hebron).
- Researcher in the FIS project “Tumoral Stem Cells in Laryngeal Carcinomas” (IP Dr. Juan Lorente) 2014-2016.
- Researcher of the Group of Genetics of the Development of the Department of Genetics of the Faculty of Biology of the University of Barcelona (UB)
- Realized more than 30 publications of national and international character
- Associate Professor of Otorhinolaryngology at the Department of Surgery of the Autonomous University of Barcelona. Courses 2001-2004 and 2011-2015. Degree in Speech Therapy (Faculty of Psychology) and Bachelor of Medicine (Faculty of Medicine).
- Speaker of the course “The child with oromotor disorders”, International Conference on Multidisciplinary Neuropediatric Disorders. Barcelona, Friday, October 11, 2002.
- Professor of the Continuing Education Course in Pediatrics 2002-2003. Catalan Society of Pediatrics, Girona section.
- Collaboration agreement for practical training in work centers with the Department of Education of the Generalitat de Catalunya. Registration number 200527599 (2/28/2006) and Registration number 200530931 (3/16/2006).
- Collaborator, moderator and speaker in multiple training courses at the Autonomous University of Barcelona and the General University Hospital of the Vall d’Hebron (Barcelona)
- Member of the committee of the postgraduate commission and doctorate in doctoral theses in different universities of Barcelona.
- II Congress of the Spanish Society of Children’s Integrated Dentistry. Barcelona, November 2003.
- 1st Congress of the CE-ORL-HNS (EUFOS). Barcelona (Spain), July 2-6, 2011.
- Faculty of the 11th International Congress of the European Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology. Amsterdam, The Netherlands. May 20-23th 2012.
- Scientific committee of the 12th International Congress of the European Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology. Dublin 31st May to 3rd June 2014.
- Scientific committee of the 13th International Congress of the European Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology. Lisbon, Portugal, June 2016.
- Official College of Physicians of Barcelona (COMB)
- Société Française d’Oto-rhino-laryngologie et Pathologie Cervico-Faciale – Full member
- Association Française d’ORL pédiatrique (AFOP)
- Catalan Society of Otorinolaringology of the Academic of Medical Sciences of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands – Full member
- Spanish Society of Otorhinolaryngology and Cervico-facial Pathology Full member
- Societat Catalana de Biologia
- Catalan Society of Pediatrics – Proposed Member
- American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology – Guest Member
- ERN-CRANIO (European Reference Network)